Picture from 1923 showing the original location of the war memorial on Pier Road with the Floral Hall in the background. (from Jack Whittaker)
The Floral Hall was built in 1922 and was a popular venue for dances, concerts and entertainments. It was used by the troops stationed in Withernsea during the 2nd world war as a training centre. Unfortunately the hall burned down in the late 40's.
Big Wheel seen from Pier Road. The Big wheel and other rides were constructed in the 50's
Boating Mere and Big Wheel
The Boating Mere about 1940. The trench to the right held the tracks for a minature railway, the "Withernsea Express" The passengers heads can just be seen over the rim of the boating lake. (from Jack Whittaker )
Motor boats on the Boating Mere.
Boaring mere and Pleasure Ground c1955 Reproduced courtesy of Francis Frith.
The Pleasure Ground c1955 Reproduced courtesy of Francis Frith.
Pleasure Ground c1960 Reproduced courtesy of Francis Frith.
Memorial Gardens now.
Go to pictures of Italian Gardens and Sun Lounge